IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
Applications are invited for the internationally recruited positions below:
1.) Financial Controller
Job Ref: DDG-CS/FD/04/16
Location: Ibadan, Nigeria
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
- The Financial Controller will have responsibility for understanding the strategic direction of the organization and assist the Director of Finance (DoF) in providing high level, proactive financial expertise and direction for both short-term and long-term financial planning and management.
- In conjunction with DoF, lead the task of preparing IITA annual financial statements to comply fully with International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) by 2016.
- Assist to prepare accurate and timely medium-term financial plan/annual budget.
- Monitor financial performance against budget to support the dynamic re-allocation of resources according to priorities.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the DoF and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Work with the DoF to craft a long-term strategy for Finance Directorate by providing advice on issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and work plans for the various workshops in Finance Directorate.
- Advise the DoF on long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the Institute’s strategic plan, considering limitations and changes in the funding environment, strategic growth opportunities and collaborations with external organizations.
- Working with the Head of Internal Audit, advise DoF on the integrity of the Institute’s Investment policies and reporting and control procedures.
- Remain up to date on non-profit audit and financial best practices.
- Ensure compliance and maintain oversight for all accounting and operating activities.
- Lead the annual financial audits; review audit materials, and prepare management response to internal and external auditors.
Team Management / Training:
- Mentor and develop finance management teams, providing input on work allocation, training, trouble-shooting, problem and conflict resolution, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Train accounting personnel and other users on accounting controls and procedures.
- Act as Officer-in-Charge during periods of absence of the DoF.
- Any other finance-related duties assigned by Director of Finance.
- First Degree in any discipline plus a recognised professional accounting qualification – ACA, CPA, ACCA. The possession of an MBA is highly desirable and will be an advantage.
- Minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience in core accounting function from a leading or well structured accounting firm, and three (3) of which must be at a senior management level.
- Relevant finance experience should include planning, forecasting and enterprise financial systems with emphasis on budgeting and financial reporting (with sound knowledge / hands on experience of IFRS).
- Experience in working with a leading accounting firm or international organization or multinational private sector company within a cross- cultural environment at a senior level
- Excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Ability and proven track record in leadership of small groups; experience as a manager of staff, team builder / leader; and ability as a manager of strategic relationships.
- Proficiency in at least one major enterprise management system (oracle, sun, platinum SAGE, etc.) and relevant computer applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are essential, including ability to set out coherent presentations and group interactions.
A competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward their Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
- only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
2.) Finance and Administrative Officer
Job Ref: IITA-HR-NRS2016-024A
Location: Ibadan, Nigeria
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Oversee the entire financial operations of the project office and ensure timely and accurate delivery of financial reports.
- Enter financial information and maintain all financial records for project by learning the applicable systems in RTB-CIP and IITA.
- Liaise with all project partners to obtain required information in time, check for completeness, accuracy and allowability of the expenses before finalising the accounts in close working relationship with IITA finance team,
- Manage compliance to project budget allocations and timely file reports on fund advances and utilization.
- Support project coordinator with timely advice and recommendations to ensure that program funds are utilized appropriately by the close of each fiscal year.
- Coordinate with the Grants and Contracts (G&C) team to help manage contracts, agreements, and project statutory annual audits.
- Provide all administrative and logistical support to the project team
- Procure as needed and manage inventory of assets of the project
- Make travel arrangements for the project team and any other project partners / visitors in the country
- Make arrangements for meetings, trainings and workshops for the project team.
- Maintain the office filing system (manual and electronic) including backup, archiving and storage
- HND/B.Sc in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent with an MBA or equivalent.
- Professional certification such as ACCA, ICAN is essential.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant work experience in an International Organization.
- CGIAR accounting system experience is essential.
Ideal Candidate must have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Methodical, organized and results-oriented;
- Good knowledge of rules, regulations and procedures of government and related agencies; ability to work independently and to take initiative when sorting out problem issues;
- Strong computer skills in financial management software;
- Good people skills, enthusiastic, entrepreneurial skills with a can do attitude.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.
3.) Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Deadline: 31st May, 2016.
4.) Deputy Director General, Corporate Services
Deadline: 18th June, 2016.
5.) Foreman Plumber
Deadline: 3rd June, 2016.
6.) Research Technician I
Deadline: 3rd June, 2016.