The Delegation of the European Union to Nigeria and ECOWAS in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Education and Daily Trust are organising an Essay Competition on Gender Equality. The competition is part of the European Union Gender Action. The objective of the competition is to stimulate children’s awareness of the role of women in society. The competition is open to Nigerian Senior Secondary School Students between the ages of 13-16 residing in Nigeria.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Essay Competition on Gender Equality
Essay Title: “Once upon a time there were a girl and a boy; together they decided to make the world a better place…”
- The overall 13 best essays in the competition will be selected by a team of jury comprising of school teachers, gender activists, Daily Trust staff and EU Delegation to Nigeria staff.
- The best 13 essays will be awarded prizes.
Prizes are as follows:
- There will be thirteen prizes for the overall best essays.
- 1st Prize = One Laptop computer + N30, 000 grant for books
- 2nd Prize = One laptop computer + N20, 000 grant for books
- 3rd Prize = One laptop computer + N10, 000 grant for books
- The best 10 runners-up will receive a grant of N30, 000 each for books.
- You should be between the ages of 13 – 16.
- You should be a citizen of Nigeria, residing in Nigeria.
- You should be in secondary school in any part of Nigeria.
- You should write an essay depicting equality between girls and boys, women and men.
- You can give your essay a caption of your choice, if you would like to.
- You should write your first and last names, your age, your class and your school’s name and address, on the top of your entry. You should attach a scanned copy of your birth certificate or signature of the school principal confirming your age.
Rules of the Essay
- The participants are invited to write an essay, depicting their vision of Gender Equality.
- The essay could be type-written or handwritten with not less than 500 words and not more than 1,000 words.
- The essay should not exceed 1000 words.
- The first name, the last name and the age of the child, should be written on the top of the essay sheet, together with her/his class, the school address. A scanned birth certificate should be attached or signature of school principal confirming age of student.
- The essay should have at the end the school’s stamp and the signature of the principal of the school as a confirmation that the writer is a bona fide student of the school in the class indicated.
Application Closing Date
6th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their essay by email to: DELEGATION-NIGERIA-ESSAYCOMPETITION@eeas.europa.eu
By hand in a sealed envelope marked “Essay Competition on Gender Equality.” to:
Delegation of the European Union to Nigeria and ECOWAS,
Common Embassy Complex,
European Union Crescent,
Off Constitution Avenue,
Central Business District,
By post to: