Apply for World Health Organization (WHO) 2016 Latest Job Recruitment
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the following vacant positions below:
1.) National Professional Officer/Neglected Tropical Disease
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT312
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Objectives of the Programme
- To support the accelerated reduction in the burden of the five neglected tropical diseases that are responsive to preventive chemotherapy (5 PC-NTDs) and the Case management (CM- NTDs)
- Provide technical support to Nigeria in its efforts to control and eliminate targeted NTDs including morbidity management and prevention of disabilities due to PC and CM NTDs
Description of Duties
Working under the overall leadership of the WR/Nigeria and the direct supervision of the DPC Cluster lead, the National Professional Officer, Neglected Tropical Disease will serve as the focal person for NTDs under the Disease Prevention and Control (DPC) Cluster of the WHO Country Office in Nigeria. Specifically, the incumbent will support ministry of health in:
- The planning, implementation, continuing surveillance and evaluation of the programme on integrated control of diseases, particularly those posing serious public health problems in the countries and, hence, considered as priority by national authorities and WHO.
These priorities refer to:
- Diseases to be eradicated or eliminated in accordance with decisions already taken by WHO’s governing bodies and accepted by the international communities, namely Dracunculiasis, Filariasis, Onchocerciasis, Schistosomiasis, Soil Transmitted Helminths, Human African Trypanosomiasis, Leprosy and Trachoma.
- Any other National or Locally identified priority diseases whose control tools can help produce concrete results in a relatively short time;
- The introduction of an integrated diseases control approach in the framework of the National NTD Master Plan, with special emphasis on community-level activities, both in prevention and in case management, or in mass drug distribution.
- The establishment of a system of epidemiological surveillance of communicable diseases, focusing on NTDs, and proper and regular reporting and updating of trends of diseases at the national level.
- Training of health personnel in the epidemiology, diagnosis and management of NTDs.
- Promotion of operational research on the various aspects of NTDs control.
- Support for Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR)
- Any other functions that shall be assigned to the incumbent by the WR.
- Essential: Medical Degree (MBBS) from a recognized University
- Desirable: Master of Public Health from a recognized University
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Extensive knowledge and skills in preventive chemotherapy approaches and methodologies;
- Ability to build capacity in various aspects of programme implementation, particularly evaluation of the impact of MDA and conducting transmission assessment surveys for NTDs;
- Ability to establish effective networks and working relationships with people of different ethnicity and cultural background.
- Producing results (core)
- Fostering integration and team work (core)
- Communicating in a credible and effectively way (core)
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Computer abilities such as word processing, spread-sheets; data analysis tool such as Epi-Info, SPSS, GIS and excellent report writing skills
- Essential: At least 5 years working experience in Neglected Tropical Diseases at National or International levels.
- Desirable: Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized public health organization.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
Application Closing Date
14th June, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
2.) Graduate Administrative Officer
Deadline: 28th June, 2016.
3.) Medical Officer-Supplementary Immunization Activities
Deadline: 21st June, 2016.