Job Openings at the African Development Bank (AfDB)
African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Coordinator, Affirmative Finance Action For Women in Africa (AFAWA)
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
- The Affirmative Finance Action for Women in Africa (AFAWA) Program Coordinator reports to the Director Gender, Women and Civil Society Department.
- The role of the AFAWA Program Coordinator will include high level policy dialogue for gender related issues particularly related to the Small & Medium-size Enterprise sector. This will include empowerment policies to ensure women’s competitive access to credit and business services.
- The Coordinator manage the work of other members of the AFAWA Team (including decentralized staff), and work closely with other relevant Departments and Sectors to ensure effective implementation of AFAWA across all the Bank’s operations.
- The AFAWA Program Coordinator will be responsible to provide overall strategic direction for AFAWA and ensure that AFAWA’s development goals are met.
- The job holder will manage the AFAWA Team to deliver transformative financing for women owned enterprises with a special focus on small and medium scale enterprises.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The AFAWA Program Coordinator under the oversight of the Director Gender, Women And Civil Society Department, will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the AFAWA Program, which includes: resource mobilization and coordination with internal and external partners; and integration of the AFAWA key performance drivers across Bank’s operations. S/he will perform the following duties and have the following responsibilities:
- Support the delivery of AFAWA’s vision and objectives, including under each of the High 5 Agenda.
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of the overall Program. This includes implementation of all AFAWA pillars, enhancing resource allocation, innovative instruments, non-financial services, pipeline development, and client relationship management.
- Develop Monitoring & Evaluation methodologies and produce regular reports for dissemination to Committees, Board, cross-departments and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate co-financing and resource mobilization activities in close collaboration with the Bank’s Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Department.
- Prepare, propose and manage the AFAWA Team’s annual work plan and budget, in line with AFAWA business plan and strategy, as agreed by Senior Management.
- Recruit, supervise and motivate personnel on the AFAWA Team, including staff, consultants and technical assistants.
- Serve as AFAWA’s principle spokesperson by clearly articulating its broad goals and objectives and being a voice on key issues related to women’s business enterprises in Africa.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Lead all relevant Bank approval processes related to AFAWA, including the development of business plan, strategies and operating guidelines, in consultation with all relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate all Bank-wide activities related to AFAWA i.e. financing mechanisms; technical assistance, policy dialogue and knowledge management.
- Work closely with the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department, at all levels, to harmonize the integration of the Gender Agenda and women’s financial inclusion in particular, in Bank’s operations and policy dialogue.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in one or more of the following areas: Gender, Economics, Finance, International Relations, Development Studies, Public Policy, Business Administration; Relevant qualification in development project management and project finance, in Small & Medium Enterprise-size finance, gender financing and financial inclusion is a plus.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience and expertise in producing (i) financial and non-financial/advisory services strategies and operations in Africa, particularly in business banking, Small & Medium-size Enterprise sector finance and financial inclusion and/or (ii) gender financial inclusion strategies, initiatives and programs, specifically working on issues around women in rural areas and women in business; whose three (3) years in a management position.
- Proven experience in strategy development and implementation, with a particular focus on sustainable finance.
- Proven inter personal skills and ability to communicate effectively and mobilize diverse and multicultural teams & partners for delivery.
- Proven ability to build and direct high performing teams to achieve visionary and challenging goals;
- Knowledge of gender issues.
- Demonstrated skills to combine strategic thinking with a good understanding on how to translate ideas into products in a participatory manner, navigating the shortest institutional way possible.
- Proven leadership and team building skills; results oriented and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Experience working on women’s economic empowerment and women’s rights or/and experience in agriculture, agribusiness, industrial manufacturing and energy is an asset.
- Experience working with African financial and private sector stakeholders (policy makers, regulators, financial institutions, multinationals, Small & Medium-size Enterprise sectors).
- Demonstrable experience in resource mobilization, public-private partnership development, business incubation and management.
- Proven track record of engaging at the highest level with African governments, companies, civil society and development institutions.
- Ability to structure and market complex development projects, integrating investment and technical assistance, in competitive markets.
Job Title: Head, Medical and Occupational Health Services Unit
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078350
- The position of Head of the Medical and Occupational Health Services Unit, reports to the Vice-President, Human Resources and Corporate Services and supports the Complex in the management of Bank’s health services by ensuring proper application of the Bank’s policies, instructions and procedures on matter of staff health and well-being.
- He/she, will formulate health and welfare policies that are consistent with the best practices in healthcare in the workplace; ensure the administration and provision of quality medical care to the Bank’s staff and their dependents; facilitate a healthy working environment for staff through the provision of best practices in health and well-being.
Duties and responsibilities
- The Head of Unit is responsible for developing a strategic approach to defining, planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Unit to drive its transformation. His/her duties include:
- Guide the implementation of the medical and occupational health strategy within the broad frame of the People Strategy of the Bank, its Long Term Strategy and the new Development and Business Delivery Model.
- Develop a comprehensive and innovative strategy for the implementation of health and welfare programs that address stress management, burnout, and physical fitness.
- Lead the development of employee medical and occupational health policies, ensuring compliance with employment legislation and Bank statutory requirements.
- Provide thought-leadership for the delivery of a wide array of health and welfare program with the objectives of improving the long term health and well-being of Bank staff and retirees.
- Manage the Bank’s health and welfare operational performance including the unit budget, planning and reporting, establishment of priorities and allocation of resources.
- Administer the Bank’s medical plan for the benefit of staff and their dependents as well as retirees.
- Lead the coordination of medical and occupational health projects or action plans aimed at the effective implementation of the Bank’s strategies on medical and occupational health strategy and provide leadership in coordinating and monitoring health and safety programs within the Bank.
- Lead the coordination of the work programme, management and service delivery of the medical and occupational health services Unit.
- Take the lead in responding to audit queries and bring to conclusion such findings.
- Oversee and manage workforce to ensure that relevant metrics and trends are identified and reported to key stakeholders, Human Resources, and/or business unit leaders.
- Assist the Unit staff in finding solutions to work related problems through coaching and referral to counseling services.
- Lead the design of a ‘Medical and Occupational Health Dashboard’ of key indicators including the impact of medical and health issues on employee engagement index and managerial effectiveness index.
- Oversee employee health care issues in consultation with the Staff Council, recourse mechanisms, other staff groups and the Board members and Senior management; mandatory medical checkup.
- Manage the resolution of conflicts, working through and with others to affect mutually acceptable solutions, by using highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Oversee and formulate the Bank’s position in all disciplinary procedures and cases of conflict related to medical and occupational health issues with a view to ensuring fairness and effective resolution.
- Undertake periodic reviews of the medical and occupational health services systems and trends in health care policies and practices in benchmark organizations to identify and implement innovations in line with the best practices in the industry.
- Represent the Complex in corporate level forums and committees, providing the strategic interface between the Bank and specific directorates to embed a strategic approach to medical and occupational health management that results in more effective front line delivery.
- Oversee the appropriate execution of the Bank’s medical insurance provider’s contract and other providers regarding the quality of services including medical evacuation, contracts agreements and technical evaluation of partnering health institutions.
- Lead the unit’s Employee Engagement Governance Framework to ensure that there is a sustainable momentum to close gaps identified in the staff surveys.
- Lead the quality control of medical and occupational health services Unit outputs and programs.
- Support the development of the annual work plan by coordinating and supervising the provision of health care and preventive programs to staff and their dependents bank wide.
- Maintain the Medical and occupational health services compliance programme to identify risk, ensure adherence with all applicable health related legal/statutory and compliance requirements, as well as mitigate loss.
Including desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in: Public Health Management or Human Resources Management or Business Administration or Health Management or Occupational Health or related disciplines.
- Have at least ten (10) years of extensive and progressive and pertinent and relevant experience in medical and occupational welfare services and/or in Human Resource Management, three (3) years of which in managerial role.
- Strong generalist in Human Resources/Medical and occupational health services experience as well as sound experience in employee relations, well-being and work life balance and equal opportunities and employment policies.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve multiple problems; as well as conceptual, strategic and analytical skills.
- Ability to work and relate effectively in a diverse multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to wok under pressure, prioritize work, and handle multiple tasks coordinating teams, work programs and resources.
- Self-motivated, pro-active and results oriented.
- Established reputation, integrity, good judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing with clients.
- Competence with standard Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint; Preferably experience in the use of project management software.
- Working experience in a multilateral development organization is an asset.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a client-centric, business partnering environment.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of institutional medical care and welfare programs and strong organizational and project management skills.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 29th March, 2017.