Job Openings at Mercy Corps for Livelihood Program Officers
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihood Program Officer
Location: Biu, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection, livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Livelihood program officer will be responsible for supporting activities in the intervention communities of ISING program.
- S/He will be responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic, impactful, and high-quality programming.
- The project officer will report to the Livelihoods Senior Program Officer and work collaboratively with fellow program staff.
- S/he will work extensively with other sectors to ensure that all program activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Essential Job Functions
- Support project management and administration of livelihood related activities including beneficiary identification, distribution site selection, planning and implementing the distributions, working with partners and facilitating monitoring.
- Contribute to effective program reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the other program staff.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity, protection and capacity building into all livelihood activities as appropriate.
- Conduct monitoring and data collection as directed by the Livelihoods Senior Program Officer, assisting with specific surveys or assessments as needed.
- Contribute to providing the Livelihoods Senior Program Officer with up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders.
- Ensure the cohesion of the overall livelihoods approach through a close working relationship with the livelihoods SPO and the protection/gender team.
- Contribute to all field work, including identifying target locations, beneficiaries and vendors, participating in distributions, monitoring and supporting beneficiaries during the shopping periods, coordinating with community leaders and other stakeholders and other field-based tasks as assigned.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Contribute to applying well researched and thought out interventions to restart livelihood activities.
- Lead where necessary community meetings to identify Livelihoods priorities.
- Mitigation where necessary maintaining a clear impartial profile for Mercy Corps in confusions or disputes between community/association/group members.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field required; MA/MS/MBA or equivalent preferred.
- 3 years of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general program management experience required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Prior experience implementing distributions is required, preferably in a non-camp setting. Experience with cash distributions strongly preferred.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Experience with conducting assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude.
- Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, including remote management and capacity development.
- S/he is a problem solver, who is adept in successfully dealing with issues of complexity.
- S/he is an active listener and contributor, working to create a strong team share ideas and learn
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Applications Deadline: 3rd September, 2017.