The U.S. Embassy Latest 2016 Job Recruitment
The U.S. Embassy, is currently seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidates for the following vacant positions below:
1.) Senior Public Health Specialist (Emergency Management)
Location: Abuja Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- This position serves as the Global Health Security public health emergency management portfolio manager.
- The incumbent is responsible for public health emergency management activities supported by the CDC Nigeria Office, primarily infectious disease outbreaks but also including natural, accidental and intentional (terrorism, crime, civil disorder) disasters with public health implications.
- S/he is the primary advisor to the Associate Director for Global Health Security on public health emergency operations and management in Nigeria.
- S/he interacts with all levels within the USG forum and assists the Ministry of Health in the development of its emergency management capacity.
- The position interfaces with all levels of NGO and cooperative partners, universities and medical personnel for the purpose of developing and maintaining a highly functional emergency operation center and incident command system in Nigeria.
- S/he works closely with Administrative support staff to manage cooperative agreements and provide technical guidance to implementing partners.
- The incumbent reports to the Associate Director for Global Health Security.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Public Administration, Medicine or Epidemiology is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working on public programs and effective coordination of operations, management and analysis, with at least three (3) years of dedicated experience working in public health emergency management is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of the development of program goals and objectives, the sequence and timing of key program events and milestones, as well as knowledge of the development and implementation of capacity and program assessments, and methods of evaluating program accomplishment is required. Good knowledge of administrative, budgetary, procurement, and travel issues related to government purchasing and funding guidelines is required.
- General knowledge of local emergency management processes and /or systems and the role of the Ministry of Health (MOH) in public health emergencies. Must have skills and diplomacy for working effectively with countries’ Ministries of Health (MOH), United Nations Office of Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), United Nations Disaster Assistance Coordination (UNDAC), Department of State (DOS), Embassies and international public health entities; and have extensive knowledge of global public health activities and strategies, including advanced knowledge of the Incident Command System framework (ICS);
- Proficiency in MS Office, (Word, PPT and Excel) with good organizational skills, communication skills, attention to detail required by maintenance of budget, development of plans and procedures, and handling of numerous versions of documents is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N10, 948,692 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM/EFM-US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-04
Application Closing Date
6th June, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considere.
2.) Senior Public Health Specialist (Surveillance and Information Systems)
Deadline: 7th June, 2016.
3.) Senior Program Development Specialist
Deadline: 14th June, 2016.
Deadline: 9th June, 2016.
5.) Political Specialist
Deadline: 14th June, 2016.