United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Job Recruitment
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes to engage the services of a suitably and qualified candidate to fill the position below on a Fixed-Term basis:
Job Title: Senior Liaison Assistant (ECOWAS), G-5
Vacancy Number: 2017/VA/012
Under the supervision of the Senior Liaison Officer (SLO), the Senior Liaison Assistant (ECOWAS) will provide continuous direction, guidance and advice on work planning and prioritization.
- Support the planning and implementation of activities aimed at strengthening UNHCR’s partnerships and collaboration with other relevant African sub/regional institutions (notably, African Union, other Regional Economic Communities, civil society organizations and consortia and academic institutions).
- Assist in the establishment of close working relations with officials in ECOWAS and other UNHCR Partners.
- Inform the Senior Liaison Officer, on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with ECOWAS on various issues.
- Assist in the drafting of policy papers and reports on UNHCR-ECOWAS partnership
- Assist the Senior Liaison Officer in preparation for different visits and missions to the operation.
- Follow up on various issues, liaising within the office and with external counterparts, as necessary, to provide the background information and analysis required for decision making.
- Assist in maintaining close relations with UNHCR Regional offices in Dakar and ensuring the effective sharing of information on UNHCR’s operations in the region, as well as developments within ECOWAS and matters related to UNHCR’s collaboration with ECOWAS on specific recommendations and action plans.
- Accompany the Senior Liaison Officer and Headquarters visitors on ECOWAS and UNHCR Partner meetings.
- Support UNHCR’s networking activities with relevant stakeholders such as ECOWAS and other UNHCR Partners and sister agencies by arranging appointments, preparing missions and providing targeted background information.
- Scan various sources of information, such as web-based media, newspapers, journals, bulletins on political and other developments bearing upon UNHCR’s activities in Nigeria and the ECOWAS sub-region, keeping the Senior Liaison Officer, and other staff briefed on their implications.
- Plan and prepare meetings with ECOWAS Institutions.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of the secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in a related field
- Minimum 5 years previous job experience relevant to the function
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Excellent writing/drafting skills.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Sound knowledge of main protection principles and UNHCR operations
- Knowledge of French language as it is one of the official ECOWAS language.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should email their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) below to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Click here to download P11 Form (Doc)
Application Deadline: 12th June, 2017.