World Health Organization (WHO) Job Vacancy for a National Data Manager
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the United Nations’ agency for health. The organization focuses on four main areas, led by health intervention efforts, such as control and prevention of HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis. Other WHO priorities include support for government health programs; development of health policies, products, and systems; and efforts related to determinants of health, such as food safety and nutrition. The WHO operates from six regional offices worldwide and national offices in about 150 countries. Budget and policy oversight for the organization is provided by the World Health Assembly, which includes representatives of more than 190 countries. The WHO was founded in 1948.
National Data Manager
- Job Type Contract
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 5 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field ICT / Computer
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TASR147
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Currently accepting applications
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Organization unit: AF/IVE Immunization, Vaccines and Emergencies (AF/IVE) /
AF/PEI Polio Eradication (AF/PEI)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME :
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of duties:
Under the overall guidance of the EPI Cluster Lead, technical oversight of the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator direct supervision from State Coordinator, the incumbent will be working closely with the government counterparts and partners at State and zonal levels in support of the following specific EPI activities:
- Establish, maintain and up-date databases pertaining to each programmatic area in EPI/PEI
- Perform data validation and cleaning on all data received before forwarding to the zone and national level (surveillance, IPDs, RI, Special Intervention, HTR, accessibility, IDP Camps and other data sets).
- Provide regular feedback on data quality, timeliness and completeness to CCs and LGAFs for action.
- Track and obtain missing or incomplete data/reports and provide feedback to relevant levels.
- Provide all round GIS support including accessibility, Vaccination Tracking System (VTS)
- Produce weekly, monthly and quarterly analysis feedback from data to enhance decision making at state and LGA level
- Represent WHO in the Borno State EOC Data Team and support the state EOC with data presentation, analysis and interpretation.
- Create and secure back-up copies of data in the state.
- Provide technical data management support to the state government.
- Conduct data management training to build the capacity of officers.
- Perform other activities as required by the supervisor
Essential: University Degree in Statistics, Information Systems and Communication Technology, or other relevant fields from recognized institution
Desirable: Training in public health data management
Verification of Educational qualifications:
“In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design technical communication materials;
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
Essential: At least five years relevant experience including field experience in data management/GIS.
Desirable: Experience in public health especially in immunization activities
Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WHO:
http://www.who.int Click on: . to learn more about WHO’s operations
http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
at single rate.
How to Apply
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Currently accepting applications
Interested and qualified? Go to World Health Organization (WHO) career website on erecruit.who.int to apply.